How to Start a Complete Diet Overhaul
It's achieved little by little.
Amelia Freer, in her book Eat. Nourish. Glow., talks about changing “just one thing”, first.
This is what I did, all those years ago now. My diet overall was carby, starchy and sugar-laden. It was all bad for me.
But my Naturopath, Sarah, told me to just change my snacks first. I had proudly reported to her that I’d made my own muesli bar slice, full of nuts, dried fruits and seeds.
She congratulated me and asked how I had made it stick together, “condensed milk” I exclaimed. She, very gently, explained that although all the ingredients were good, the "glue", let down the snack.
She explained Bliss Balls to me, and that was the first recipe I tinkered with, made weekly and mastered, to suit my incredibly sweet tooth. Bliss balls were just what I needed to get started. See my first recipe here.
After I’d made those I started with all the other food groups I was to exclude; grains, dairy, refined sugar, gluten.
I found it acceptable, and do-able, to start off at 80/20 Paleo. 80% of the week I ate wholefoods, predominantly Paleo and a mixture of the Bulletproof Diet (so I could have grass-fed butter and free-range, sugar and gluten free bacon). The other 20% I would have the things I then thought improved my life food-wise. Bread, pasta and cakes, occasional ice-cream, dairy milk chocolate and sugary alcohol.
It only took about a month or so for those 20% meals to affect how I felt day-to-day.
I noticed a phenomenal difference in how my body functioned and my energy, stamina, metal clarity and a delightfully flatter stomach. Then, I would have one of those 20% meals and it would affect me for 2-3 days, stomach pain, bloating, upset stomach, skin rash, etc.
I also began to enjoy them less, I felt less sated after eating them, less full. I finally started to listen to my body. It was telling me loud and clear what it did and didn’t like and I started to listen.
This is what I would recommend for others starting their journey to wholefoods.
Swap out one thing first; snacks, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, dairy, refined flour products, refined sugar products, processed foods, ready-made meals/convenience foods, take-away/fast-food.
Then start on a percentage split like I did, either choose to do 5 days healthy to 2 days of eating whatever or 80/20 %. Whatever seems possible for you to get started.
Because starting is the most difficult part!
So ask yourself...
What part of your diet lets you down the most??
Mine was my snacks.
I have created a diet overhaul companion that goes into further detail of how to achieve this, accessible via the Resource Library.
Here's to you being Happy, Well and Fed (delicious, healthy, inspiring, whole foods), feeling awesome and being your best self.
I'd love to help you to be happier, healthier and get on track to your best wellness yet! Let's work together!
Want to know how I eat a whole foods diet on a budget? Just enter your email in the box below and I'll send my tip sheet straight to you.
Have you read the other posts in my wellness through diet section? Check them out